Saturday, September 12, 2009

Akas & Amas

The original aka and ama hardware worked fine but took a LOT of time to set up and break down. The ama attachments required getting hands and tools inside amas through inspecition ports. The aka tubes and expensions were assembled in a similar way.

Chris had intended snap buttons for the aka tubes. These are similar to the type used in tent poles, but much larger. I wasn't able to find stainless buttons large enough for the aka tubes, but I did manage to find some that weren't stainless. I installed them and color coded the tubes to help with quick installation.

The bigger problem was the aka/ama attachments. I needed a quick way to loosen them, preferably without tools or the need to reach inside the amas through the examination ports. I decided that something like the hardware used on Virus boats would be a good solution. I was able to locate the US Virus dealer, Urs Wunderli, who was very helpful in helping me get four sets to the hardware that Virus uses for their Kataram rowing catamaran. I was able to modify the amas to accomodate the new hardware and have been very pleased with the result.




No comments:

Post a Comment